|Home » Solutions & Services » Implicit Research Methodologies
Implicit Research Methodologies
- Conventional methods of market research utilizes ‘explicit’
methods of research
- Interviews and questionnaires are used to measure consumer
response to products
- ‘Consumers don’t say what they feel and they don’t do what
- Conventional marketing metrics capture only a small part of
what consumers truly think and feel about your brand.
- Explicit market research faces limitations when it comes to
capturing the cause behind actual purchase decisions made
by the consumers.
- People rarely choose brands by conscious thinking as their
choices are governed by unconscious associations.
- Limits in their motivation. This could be motivation to
answer honestly due to self-presentation concerns, or
motivation to take the question as the researcher desires.
- Limits in their opportunity. For example, an explicit
measurement tool may not allow respondents to express
their true degree of feeling about an evaluated item.
- Limits in their ability. For instance, to articulate their
thinking or feeling into a reported response.
- Limits in their awareness. Respondents may not be
consciously aware of their attitudes or drivers of their
- Implicit market research is a set of research methods which are
not direct, deliberate, controlled or intentional self-assessment.
- Implicit market research combines behavioral science and
business to give us advanced quantitative and qualitative tools
to dig deeper into the psyche of the consumers.
- Many market research companies are aware of the ‘can’t
say/won’t say’ issues in explicit research methods.
- This is where implicit research methods helps in understanding
the consumers better, as do not rely solely on what consumers
are able and willing to self-report.
- In the field of experimental psychology ‘Implicit’ testing
methods have been developed for measuring attitudes
- In the same way implicit measures are also useful in
interpreting consumer attitudes towards products.
- Depending on the research method, participants may be
unaware of what is being tested, unaware of the actual
attitudes or cognitions being measured, or unable to
- Implicit measures may be valuable in assessing
spontaneous or automatic attitudes towards stimuli.
- Implicit measures possess particular predictive value in
areas focused on spontaneous behavior.
- Eye Tracking
- Mobile Analytics
- Voice Analysis
- Face Analysis
- Digital Tracking
- Automated Audience Measurement
- Eye tracking has become an extremely powerful tool in
market research. Knowing what people see and - more
important - what they miss is the key to an effective marketing
campaign which turns people into buyers. Eye tracking allows
us to stop guessing and use the unique features to get proof
into people’s attention and behaviour. Eye tracking solutions
are used in a wide variety of different research fields - from
commercial usability and market research studies to
scientific psychology and vision research. MRSS India offers
remote and wearable tracking solutions. For remote tests,
Eye Tribe is used to track the gaze and outputs on all
eye tracking metrics.
- If you have a mobile app and are not sure of how it is being
used, Mobile Analytics will tell you! Mobile Analytics software
monitors system level behaviour passively on IOS and Android devices.
- What apps are used?
- How long are they used?
- Where are they used?
- This tool helps one make data-driven decisions about mobile
strategy, tactics, and products. This is the Robust way to assess
the frequency and usage of various applications on a
respondent’s phone without reading personal and
- Mathematical models translate subtle cues in speech features
(e.g. pitch, talk time, entropy, harmonics) into meaningful
patterns (e.g. speaker’s consistency in tone, level of engagement
or distress in the conversation) to infer psychological state.
- Voice analysis software is used to detect specific patterns in
vocal recordings in real-time.
- Ability to uniquely measure vocal engagement without
relying on content analysis.
- Face analysis software provides with reliable answers about
how consumers and users react spontaneously to products,
brands and content, by monitoring their facial expressions
and how they react to different stimuli, and by tracking
where they look at.
- Face analysis software combines emotion recognition,
demographics and eye tracking technologies in one solution.
- This software tracks tiny movements of facial muscles and
translate them into universal facial expressions like happiness,
surprise, sadness, anger and more.
- A software is developed that offers passive tracking programs,
which helps in observing online behaviour in a non-staged environment.
- This software is installed on different personal devices used by participants.
- They only track people who have given their explicit consent
and they offer anonymity to the participants.
- They track what websites the participants visit, apps they use,
ads they see and also search terms they enter.
- With the combination of online behaviour and background
information that participants share, it develops insights using
this behaviour data.
- It is a process of measuring how many and who are there in
- It offers an audience measurement solution which uses
simple video sensor to count actual viewers and overall
opportunities to see (OTS).
- It measures attention times and dwell times and estimates
the gender and age distributions of audience.
- A set of metrics is made available in real time with
simultaneous uploading to an online datamining application.
- It’s solutions are available as software or as an all in one
device which measures the strength and impact of media.
- These set of solutions can be deployed in retail stores, malls,
agencies, boutiques, transportation hubs, restaurants and
- Neuroscience is the scientific study of the nervous system.
It is an interdisciplinary science that collaborates with other
fields such as chemistry,cognitive science, computer science, engineering, linguistics, mathematics, medicine (including neurology), genetics, and allied disciplines including philosophy, physics, and psychology.
- In choosing neuroscience-based techniques, it’s useful to ask
the following questions:
- Does the approach tell us something meaningful about
brands or marketing?
- Does it tell us something we don’t already know, and
enough to justify its cost?
- Is it practical and scalable?
- Neuromarketing is the use of brain-imaging technology to measure subconscious responses to a variety of media,
including advertising, packaging, branding, television, and more. Companies around the world use neuromarketing to
enhance their consumer research with insights beyond those gained by traditional methods.
- Neuroscientists estimate that up to 90% of all human decision making occurs at a subconscious level. That means that people are mostly unaware of what drives their own behavior. What’s more, they find it especially difficult to
communicate their inner thoughts and feelings through traditional focus groups and surveys.
- Neuromarketing allows you to measure consumers’ immediate, subconscious responses to stimuli without asking a
single question. Participants simply wear state-of- the-art EEG headsets that measure the brain’s response to the given stimuli.
- The EEG devices record brainwaves across the cortex, taking in data points at a rate of 2,000 times per second. This
award-winning EEG system is incredibly easy to use and sits comfortably on participants’ heads. Within 24 hours of
completing a study you can find all results on NeuroSpire’s interactive online dashboard.
- This technology allows research companies to recognize and analyze emotions evoked by different kinds of stimulus like TV
and Internet commercials, outdoor and indoor adverts or
simply music and video clips.
This contributes to better understanding of what people feel towards different stimulus
and at the same time it can change the way of how we think
about impartial measuring emotions.
- Emotional Analysis is a USER-FRIENDLY SYSTEM AVAILABLE IN
THE CLOUD, it measures emotional reactions to your
Its benefits are that it predicts the effectiveness of video advertising and increases the sales conversion.
- It is a web based software which delivers complete digital
front-end across all devices, at scale. Clients (websites)
online customer interactions beginning discovery to
purchasing, engagement and support are all delivered,
monitored and incentivised from this software. This removes
the barriers to effectively doing business online and allows
you to maximize our online revenues.
- Few descriptors:-
- Big Data of Social Media
- Big Audience Insights
- LCD and HCF of Audience Chemistry
- Algebra of Audience Biology
- Fingerprint your Audience
- Basically to sum this up, social media does not sleep, your
company cannot be caught napping, and this software
allows you to be alert while you are away